Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Circle Of Life

Good morning to my faithful followers.

Today is a day filled with bittersweet memories, so sit back, get comfy and grab your favorite beverage of choice, and join me on a journey of "the circle of life"

 Three years ago today is a day I will never forget, it was a sad day, a hard day and one I hope I never have to go through again.  You see on this day I had to say goodbye to a loyal faithful friend, his name was Bear .  Bear was the first pet I got when I moved from the comforting shelter of my parents home , and into my own place. 

I went to the SPCA and immedietly fell in love with a little black ball of fur, whos tail curled high up on his back so much he looked like a little cinnamon bun.  I didnt adopt Bear, he adopted me. As soon as I walked over to his cage , he left his bowl of kibble to come and greet me and lordy be what a greeting it was.  He pressed his little body up against the gate, took his tiny little paw and shoved his dog bone under the gate, looked up at me and back down at the bone as if to say its ok friend I want you to have it. 
 From that moment on he and I were like peas and carrottsssss. He wasnt what you could really call the most beautiful looking specimin but what he lacked in beauty he surely made up for in love.   He loved not only me , but also the boys , he loved our cat and he hated my now ex husband.  Bear didnt come with a pedigree he was a black lab mix but he was loyal, protective and always listened to me when I wanted to talk.  He also helped me through some very tough times in my life, he was there to help heal me after my hysterectomy, he licked away my tears when I lost my dad , he gave me a huge hi 5 when I finally got smart and kicked my now ex hubands ass to the curb. His last horrah for my ex husband was to show a full set of teeth and believe me he wasnt smiling, for that matter either was the ex husband.

 Bear not only accepted Trevor he LOVED Trev, we used to say Bear would soon forget his mama when Daddy came home.  He gave me 8 wonderful years of doggie kisses, wagging tails and constant companionship. Sadly on April 20th 2007 Bear became very sick.  I knew he wasnt doing well and the night before I took him to the vet( the one I am now shadowing) I told the boys to spend time with him, tell them they love him and enjoy being with him because if it were something bad I couldnt and wouldnt let him suffer.  

 That night each boy took their turn with bear, the hardest one to watch say goodbye was Luke, he laid on the couch with this animal who had been in his life since before he was even in school. He held bear close and let one tear slowly roll down his cheek.  As we went to bed that night with heavy hearts, Bear used what little strength he had and came upstairs, went into each boys room, licked their face and then came to me, with my help he laid beside me one last time on our bed.  

 I took him into the vet the next morning, and the news I got made me sink to my knees. Cancer she said and its not good, it had spread all through his once vigerous body and he was suffering.  I held him close, told him I loved him and thanked him for everything he did for me. His goodbye gift to me before he slipped away was ,,, he once again licked my tears away.  I told the vet I am never going to get another dog, her words were this, you will get a dog again when you least expect it but need it the most.

 That night , Trevor made it home, it was a very somber night, the kids went to bed without being told, Luke took Bears favorite stuffed animal to bed with him and continued to do so for a full straight month. Trevor held me close, told me he loved me, that I did the right thing and he kissed my tears away.

 3 Months later I am in the shower, not doing very well in all reality. I felt as though not only did I lose my best friend, I had also lost my sense of security, he was very protective.  As I am washing my hair I hear the name Maverick, not having a clue why, but wondering if maybe I didnt need some medical help I got out of the shower to the ringing of the telephone. 

 It was my best friend calling, a man she worked with had a litter of german sheperd puppies, one was left and needed a home, I said when can I pick him up?  The moment I saw him I said "your Maverick" , I also learned that day that when God has to take one angel, he sends down another to help ease your pain. 

Maverick was born April 20th 2007, the very day we had lost bear.  It was almost as if Bear knew I was hurting, having a hard time moving on and hand picked maverick for us. Maverick came home with me that day, and the first thing he did when I saw him was bury his little face into my neck, he looked up , saw my tears and like his brother before him licked them away. 

 Maverick can never replace bear, but they do have alot of the same characteristics , protective, loving, loyal and halarious. Never a day goes by without that dog doing something that makes me laugh. And like his brother before him, maverick loves me but seems to forget I exist when Trevor is home, it must be a guy thing.

 May you all be blessed with the pitter patter of doggie paws, and may you all be so happy you can say"I'm so happy, I could shit rainbows, and fart fairydust"

1 comment:

  1. Sad, but did you know that a Dog best friend is a Woman. Who need a man.

    ReplyDelete