Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday Morning Reflections

Good Monday morning.

Before I go any further I must apologize for not doing a blog for quite some time, but my friends life in my world lately has been hectic to say the least.  So get comfy, grab your favorite beverage of choice and join me on another whirl wind adventure of the day and the life of a vet assistant in training. I have for sometime now been working with the vet and up until today havent really found time or the words to blog about it. 

 I work with the most amazing people ever, simply put we are a team, we have each others backs, and know that there is always a shoulder to lean on when we have a hard day. We play a game called name the tune, someone will start singing a song and its up to someone else to not only name the song but also complete the next line, so far I am the leader, I will really get them good when I sing "girl on a billboard" by Del Reeves .  We play practical jokes on each other, anything from throwing a metal dish onto the cement floor to see who not only jumps, and not only how high do they jump but what is the first word that comes out of their mouth, again I am the leader in that game to, little freaks get me everytime and thankfully that game takes place way out in the back of the office so clients never hear a thing, one day the word that came out of my mouth could have made a sailer blush, and who do you think was the person to play the trick on me, who else but the vet herself, she doubled right over laughing and said she had forgotten I had a redheaded temper. To locking someone in a dog kennel ( sadly that has happened to me and only me so far) it only took me 15 minutes to figure out my fingers could reach out through the bars and unlock it, bastards even took my picture and have it posted on the bulletin board out back. It makes me laugh evertime I see it.

  I have also become very good friends with some of the pets that come in, a few of them are geriatric and need alot of testing done for their diabetes, two little fellas never fail to make me smile, and even as you poke them to get blood they still lick your hand, if only humans could be so forgiving this world would be a better place.  I have also become excellent friends with the resident dog whos name is "blue" I call her bluebayoo, simply put we are like peas and carrottttsss, where I am so is she, I should also mention that she is a 75 pound rottweiler , she is my world.  I take her for walks when its slowed down at work and the best feeling in the world is when she looks up at me with those big brown eyes as we are on our walk, its as if she is saying I love you, the feelings are mutal blue. 

 She belongs to the vet, and I felt so honored when the vet asked me one day if I would take her for a walk, I said your trusting me with your baby, she said you have experience with big dogs, and blue loves you. My heart melted !  Now when I go into work as soon as blue hears my voice she gets excited, so excited that when she sees me she usually pees on the floor lol. That my friends is devotion.

 I have seen my share of happy things and sadly my share of sad things. It takes a loving owner to make the decision on the difference between quality of life and quantity of life.  My first day working at the vet we had 4 euthanasias, all pets who were so loved by their owners that they were spared anymore suffering and were able to gently slip away into a better place where no pain ever happens.  To say its an easy thing to do would be lying, it never gets any easier and the day it no longer effects me is the day I will be looking for another job.

 I am the one who holds them when the owner cannot be present, again its not for everyone, some owners say their goodbyes and leave, others want to stay with their pet, each decision is hard and as they say different strokes for different folks.  I have learned something since beginning my journey with the vet. I have learned that no matter how sick the animal is , they never fail to use the last of their strength to lick your face and look deep into your eyes as if they are saying thank you.  The day that I will be in the room with the client as they say their final goodbyes will be hard, but nothing in life is ever easy.  

 My first day there or as I refer to it as and always will "black Friday" they were all cases where the owner didnt want to be present, I never shed a tear ,,,, that is until I got home.  I remember coming through the door and having my healthy vital loving dog come to me, I went down on my knees on the floor and wrapped my arms around Mavericks neck, sobbing uncontrollably willing him to never get old and leave me. By the time I got done my sobbing, his fur was soaked, my eyes looked like two albino rats eyes who had been on one hell of a bender the night before, and my heart somehow felt lighter.  Maverick was there to lick way the tears, and followed me around the rest of the day, where I went , so did Maverick.  Animals know when their humans are sad, even the cat came to me and snuggled, he must have felt badly for me because he went a whole day with no ambushes.

  So my friends even on a rough day at work I push on through, I know that I have a support team at work, and one hell of a support team at home with Trevor and the pets.  Sometimes Trev never says much,instead he does the best thing ever, he holds me as I cry, wipes the tears away when I am done, and tells me he loves me and hes proud of me. People tell me all the time it takes a strong person to do what you do, but I see it this way, Trevor is the strong one, he is the one consoling me and believe me sometimes it takes awhile until all the tears are out.  

 I am in my element when I am at work, knowing I can be there to help animals who have no voice, reaping the rewards of seeing them get better, and sadly holding their paw as they say their final goodbye.  To those of you who have pets, hold them close, tell them you love them and never take one second for granted, a friend may turn their back on you, tell everyone your secrets and talk about you behind your back, but a pet is the best thing to ever come into your life. They dont judge, they always forgive and they are always there with wagging tails and slobbery kisses.  May you all be blessed to have animals in your life, and may you all be so happy you can say, "I'm so happy I could shit rainbows are fart fairy dust"


 I

No comments:

Post a Comment