Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Songs that make me smile. make me happy , and help me remember

Good morning my loyal fans. Today I will be writing about music, songs I love, that make me smile. make me happy and help me remember. So sit back get comfy and grab your drink of choice and join me on a journey of music and my love for it.

 Ever since I was a little girl I have held music close to my heart. Legend has it that by the age of 3 I not only knew all the words to "wasnt that a party, by the Irish Rovers" I would also sing it to anyone or anything that would listen. My legions of fans back then included my dad, my nannie and often times my dolls. I would use an icecream scoop for a microphone, and an old beat up 6 string guitar, whos strings has long ago broke and were now replaced by fishing line. Yes my friends I was the next generation of Patsy Cline with a dash of Loretta Lynn thrown in for good measure.  

 Now my fans include Trevor and the dog and cat, the kids groan, make the motion of not only tipping the bottle to their lips but often times pretending to put a gun to their heads. I listen to anything from Rob Zombie right down to classical, with a very healthy dose of country, country music is like a fine bottle of whiskey. The older the better, but then again whiskey never lasts long enough in my house for me to attest to that. LADIESSSSSSSSS are you with me?  I however am not a huge fan of rap or Retards attempting poetry as I like to refer to it as. So I figured I would share some of my alltime favorite songs with you and hopefully take you all back to a time in your life when something happened that made you happy and everytime you hear a song its like magic, your back in that moment again.


1) Girl on the billboard- Del Reeves.  This is a catchy little country song from the 50's there is just something about the lyric do do do a do do do do, that gets my feet a tappin and a smile on my face like a cat with a strawberry flavored arse.


2) Dont come home a drinkin with lovin on your mind- Loretta Lynn. This was my mothers love song to my father, and I am thinking daddy musta come home with lovin on his mind at least 9 times and most likely with the distinct smell of rum on his breath. 


3) Knock 3 times on the ceiling if you want me- Freddy Fender- Again there must have been some knockin on ceilings in our house. Dad had two friends who would come over every weekend and they would sing this song as well as wasted days and wasted nights, again by Freddy Fender. Childhood memories at there best.


4) Do you know you are my sunshine- The Statler Brothers. My dad used to take me for a drive in his transport truck and everytime this song would come on he would sing it to me. 


5) Chug a lug chug a lug- Roger Miller.  This guy had to have been drinking fireball when he wrote this classic, it sounds exacly how I feel as that cinnamon goodness hits my throat. Chug a lug chug a lug, make you wanna holler hi de ho, burns your tummy dont you know, chug a lug chug a lug.


6) White lightening- George Jones. Again the possum was on the fireball when he wrote this song too. I took a little sip, and right away I knew, as my eyes bugged out and my face turned blue, lighten started flashin , thunder started crashing, wooooooooo white lightenin.


7) Little Baby ducks- Tom T Hall. Another one my dad sang to me, I love little baby ducks,old pick up trucks,slow movin trains and rain. I love little country streams, sleep without dreams, Sunday school in May and hay, and I loveeeeee you to. The song is so special to me that when Trevor and I get married I want my brother Ken who will be giving me away to dance with me to that song. Simply put its like having a little piece of my dad with me everytime I hear the song.


8) Harper Valley PTA- this song cracks me up no better way to discribe it. Catchy lyrics, snappy beat and it makes me smile. Give me a few shots of fireball and I will belt this one out like there is no tomorrow.


9) Anything by Neil Young !!!! I grew up listening to the legend singing anything from Ohio to harvest Moon and no matter where I am if a Neil Young song comes on I am not shy to sing along.


10) Here Comes the Sun- The Beatles. My middle son Luke was born to the line of here comes the sun do do do do , here the comes the sun and I say its alright. It was a fitting song because everything did turn out alright and he is my sunshine.


11) Rose colored glasses- Blue Rodeo. Isaac's song, my last little bundle of energy came into the world to Greg Keelor singing , she sees the world through rose colored glassesssssssssss and I do in a way even though the tint on my specs are more brown the red I still love the song.


12) Anything by Jimmy Rankin !! or as I like to refer to him as "My Jimmy" hes a hot little number from Mabou Cape Breton , he has a voice like an angel and an ass so tight im willing to bet you could bounce a quarter off of, I was willing to try when I saw him in concert but my best friend held me back, most like to my Jimmys great relief ! mmm my jimmy.


13) Half your age- Kid Rock. I love this song because the lyrics state, I found someone new, who treats me better, she dont bitch about things we aint got, and when I sleep til noon, it dont upset her, shes half your age,,, and twice as hot. my favorite line is she likes it in the morning and she loves my mama, and I would have to agree to both of those statements, Trevor's mama is the best.


14) Baby did a bad bad thing- Chris Isaak. Oh you know it baby !!! now there is a hot little song right there, ladiesssssssssss are you with me? my theory is this, if baby didnt do a bad bad thing,, baby is willing to try all Im missing is the stripper pole and a pair of high heeled shoes or so Val tells me.


15) Guitar Town- Steve Earle. Actually anything by the Duke is awesome. However this one gets me movin and again much to the kids utter horror singing.


16) Father and Daughter- Paul Simon. Again a song that makes me think of my dad," there will never be a father who loves his daugher like I love you"

17) Redneck Girl-The Bellamy Brothers. Trevor who is not a country fan actually asks to hear this song. He calls me his little redneck girl. Redneck girl's got his name on the back of veil, shes got a kiss on her lips for her man and no one else" thats my favorite line. 


18) CCR again anything by them , I missed out on their concert back in 1997 instead I got married that day, could have saved myself a shitload of heartache, and money for the Divorce and gone to hear some good music lol


19) D. I. V.O.R.C.E- Tammy Wynette- nice little segway into that one eh, this song makes me laugh because the day of my divorce hearing my sister Helen called me at the first crack of a sparrows fart to sing this to me, I get off the phone with her and my other sister Janet calls and sings the same thing, us girls are crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.


20) CRAZY- Gnarles Barkley- I remember , I remember when I lost my mindddddddd , Trev and I heard this on the radio on our way to his christmas party last year, we were goin down the highway with this song cranked and we were wailing away to it, makes me laugh everytime I hear it.


21) Annies Song- John Denver. You fill up my senses , like a light in the forest, sadly 1997 was not a good year, the day after I was married John Denver was in a plane crash, I for a few moments felt like I was in a bad episode of south park and instead of you killed kenny it was you killed a legend. Rest in peace John Denver, and may you always feel sunshine on your shoulders.


22) T.N.T- AC/DC- cause Im TNT Im dynomiteeee. Awesome song to do anything from going for a walk or scrubbing toilets, either way you have a good beat to help you along.


24) Little Moments like that- Brad Paisley. Sounds just like Trev and I , especially this part, 
I know shes not perfect, but she tries so hard for me, and I thank god that she isnt , cause how boring would that be,its the little imperfections, its the sudden change of plans, when she misreads the directions and we're lost but holding hands yeah i live for little moments like that.When shes laying on the sofa on my shoulder in the dark, about the time she falls asleep , so does my right arm, and I want so bad to move it , cause its tingling and its numb, but she looks so much like an angel that I dont want to wake her up.I live for little moments when she steals my heart again and doesnt even know it, yeah I live for, little moments like that.


25) My baby loves me just the way that I am-Martina Mcbride.  I almost think she was looking into our house when she wrote this song
Dont need no copy of vogue magazine, dont need to dress like no beauty queen, high heels or sneakers he dont give a damn. My baby loves me just the way that I am. He never tells me Im not good enough, just gives me unconditional love, he loves me tender, he loves me mad, he loves me silly and he loves me sad, he thinks im pretty, he thinks im smart, he likes my nerve and he loves my heart, hes always sayin hes my biggest fan my baby loves me just the way that I am.


 So there you have it my friends 25 songs that warm my heart, make me smile, get my feet a tappin and much to the horror and dismay of my offspring gets me singing and shakin my tailfeathers. May you all have music in your life that makes you smile and may you all be so blessed that you to can say I am so happy I could shit rainbows and fart fairy dust"






 

1 comment:

  1. "Chug a lug chug a lug- Roger Miller. This guy had to have been drinking fireball when he wrote this classic"

    LOL. I completely agree with you on that. That song came up on my shuffle recently and someone in my office said the same thing. :)

    Thanks for being a fan!

    - Richard
    "The Fireball Guy"
    richard@fireballwhisky

    ReplyDelete