Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A smile can make a difference

Hello and welcome back to my faithful followers

Have you ever wondered what a smile can do?  Sure it takes less muscles to smile then it does to frown, but have you ever really wondered what exactly a smile can do. So sit back, get comfy, and grab your favorite beverage of choice, oh how I wish at this present time my choice could be fireball, however it cant so for now my herbal mint tea will have to do.

  When you smile, it not only makes you feel good, but also the person on the other end.  Maybe they are having a bad day, and it was your smile who made that day seem more positive and gives them that extra little ummph to make it through.  Kind words are another good things, to hear I am proud of you , can make the difference in someone from feeling like I may as well give up to, wait a minute, thats not how I roll ! I pick myself up, dust myself off and say whoo doggie that was a trip!.  I always say, it only takes one atta girl to make up for all the negative things you may have heard in a lifetime.  To you , you may be thinking your  nothing, to someone else you are their world.  I had a pretty crappy day yesterday, but you know what? I made it through, and I still smiled.  To let someone or something get you down, is letting them win, and I dont give up that easily. So next time you think you are having a rough day and you dont want to smile, think of people who are disabled, they fight daily battles but are usually the ones with the biggest smiles, because they have been beaten down , only to find that they to are strong, and they live life to the fullest.  I remember one time I had Austin on the city bus, there was a blind man sitting beside us, Austin said to the man, your eyes are a very nice color blue, The man whos name is Jim said, Thank you so much Austin !!! Ive lived all my life always wondering what color my eyes are, because Im blind I cant see them.  Austin who at the time was 5 said, thats ok , I will be your eyes.  Kids dont see people the way adults do, kids see people for who they are, not what they are, or how much or how little money they make.  If adults could live through the eyes of a child for just one day, I believe the world would have alot more acceptance.  Austin then went on to describe the rest of Jim's features, and in great detail not forgetting to mention that he had a bald spot on the back of his head. People who live in a box, will always be that way, they never fully open their eyes and see that not one person in the world is the same.  We are all unique and that my friends is what makes us special.

  Jim and Austin talked the whole way home that day, Austin was quite impressed that Jim could pretty much tell how tall he was, because of where his voice was coming from.  Austin was also impressed to learn that you dont need vision to play music, Jim told him to close his eyes and listen to the beat.  Austin is almost 16 now and plays bass guitar, often times Ive seen him, close his eyes and feel the beat.  When it was Jim's stop to get off, he held Austin's hand and told him what a wise , polite young man he was, and then said thank you for being my eyes young man, it was nice to be able to see the world for the first time in my life.  You see the whole way home Austin described for him the people all around them, what the bus looked like inside and out, what the trees looked like in fall foilage and I guess really what he showed Jim was what its like to see the world through a child eyes.

  May you all have an experience at some point in your life, to be able to see your life through a childs eyes. And may you all be blessed with such happiness you can say "I'm so happy I could shit rainbows, and fart fairy dust"

1 comment:

  1. what a sweet story Lois! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete